WE’VE ALL BEEN THERE
You’re on a much-needed date night out, away from work, home, and the kids (if you have them). Whatever the activity you’re doing, there is time for conversations to happen and somehow the conversation ends up being any or all of the following scenarios:
- Talking too much business stuff – the kids’ schedules, work stress, etc.
- Not knowing what to talk about, especially if you think you know everything about each other already
- Bringing up issues that start an argument
I think we’ve all found ourselves in one of these situations on our date nights before. And it’s taught us that…
I’ve shared in previous blog posts like, “The Importance of Fun,” how I have made mistakes in the past of bringing up business stuff like chores and the to-do list, and how it has dampened the fun of our dates. It helped me realize how important it is to keep this time focused on having fun with each other, getting away from the stresses of life, and strengthening our emotional intimacy.
QUESTIONS IDEAL FOR MARRIED COUPLES
Date night conversations should be light-hearted, positive, engaging, and focused on the present. And one of the best ways people try to accomplish this is through asking each other questions. Just when you think, “I don’t know what to ask my spouse because I already know pretty much everything about them!” THINK AGAIN!
If you’re like me and my husband, you have searched online for different questions to ask your spouse while at dinner. We have asked each other questions from a few different resources, but I’ll be honest, I haven’t found a single resource for questions that are ideal for married couples. What I mean is that married couples need questions that meet the following criteria: 1) the questions go beyond the basics that we should already know because those conversations can get dull and 2) they avoid questions that are too serious for date night because they have the potential to cause an argument.
So Trevor suggested that I write a blog post of my own consisting of great conversational questions that were light-hearted and engaging! Ones that are perfect for married couples to ask on date night, road trips, or during any other quality time spent together! So here are 100 different questions you can ask your spouse while you’re just sitting there waiting for your food to come!
100 CONVERSATIONAL QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR SPOUSE
- If you could relive a year in your life, what age would you choose?
- What physical features of mine do you hope our kids receive?
- What is your favorite date of ours?
- Have you ever been in a studio audience for a tv show?
- If you had to do an extreme sport, what would you do?
- What is a favorite charity you love and why?
- When was the last time you read a magazine, played a CD, or read from a physical book?
- Which of your parents are you most like?
- Which of your siblings are you most like?
- What’s a new hobby you’ve always wanted to try?
- What’s something you’ve always wanted to learn how to do?
- If you won the lottery, what would you do with the money?
- What does your ideal day look like?
- What would you do with a week of solitary confinement?
- What’s another career that you think you would enjoy?
- What famous person would you want to meet and why?
- If you could pick your own “Avengers” team of 6 people, who would be on your time and why?
- Are you an optimist, pessimist, or a realist?
- What do you want to name a pet, or your next pet?
- If you bought a boat, what would you name it?
- What job do you think you would have if you lived in the early 1900’s?
- Who do you wish we lived closer to?
- Which game show do you think you could win?
- What genre of books would you spend the most time looking through in a bookstore?
- How many days could you go without electricity?
- How many days could you go without a phone?
- How many telephone numbers do you actually have memorized?
- If you went on a game show, which one would you want to be on?
- What is the funniest prank you’ve ever played on someone?
- Have you ever gotten in trouble playing a prank on someone?
- Would you ever drive across the country in an RV?
- If you could have a free punch to someone’s face, who would it be and why?
- Do you think today’s generation of youth have it tougher than you did?
- Would you like to be on a jury?
- Do you think life on another planet could be discovered in our lifetime?
- Who is your favorite late night tv show host?
- What does your ideal Saturday look like in the Winter? Summer? Fall? Spring?
- What was the first meal you ever made?
- Has a self-help book ever helped you?
- Who is an ancestor of yours that you admire?
- Who is the best boss you’ve ever had and why do you admire them?
- Was there anything unusual about your birth?
- Do you think you would make a good politician?
- Do you think you would make a good food critic?
- Do you prefer looking at the sunrise or the sunset?
- What was the best “pay it forward” kindness experience you’ve received?
- How many times have you won something in your life? (an award, a contest, a giveaway, a drawing, game show, etc.)
- Have you ever been stuck on an elevator?
- Are you most creative on your own or working with a team?
- What is a consistent compliment you’ve received throughout your life?
- Do you have a celebrity doppelganger?
- What event or party would you want to have VIP access to?
- What’s the most clever and funny joke you have ever heard?
- What is something you consistently asked Santa for as a child but never got?
- What were your favorite books to read as a kid?
- What was your favorite family tradition growing up?
- What is something you hated as a kid but now appreciate?
- What national historical event have you found most interesting?
- What unsolved historical event are you most interested in knowing the answers to?
- Who was your favorite teacher in high school and why?
- Who’s Ted Talk would you want to be in the audience for?
- Did you ever do something to be sent to the principal’s office?
- What was the last article you read about?
- What is your ideal party to attend?
- Do you have a motto you like to live by?
- What book do you wish everyone was required to read in school?
- What is one thing you never did in high school that you wish you did?
- Did your family grow up with any funny or weird rules?
- What are the most exciting things you have done on a dare?
- What kind of videos do you watch on youtube most often?
- Would you rather skydive, bungee jump, parasail, or hang glide?
- What volunteer work would you like to do some day?
- If you had a clone, how would you utilize him or her?
- Name a person you have a lot of respect for and why?
- If you could be the opposite gender for a day, what would you specifically do?
- Did you ever make up a secret handshake with a friend, and do you still remember it?
- When should you tell a child about Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, or the Easter bunny?
- If safety wasn’t a concern, what natural phenomenon would you want to experience?
- Would you rather put together a 20,000 piece puzzle or read a dictionary cover-to-cover?
- What would you like to create with your own hands?
- If you were a guest on a talk show, what would you talk about?
- What trivia game subject do you answer the most correct questions in?
- Have you ever sung/acted/performed in front of an audience?
- What book should be turned into a movie that hasn’t yet?
- Do you like designing things or making them yourself?
- What celebrity should be cast as you if your life was put into a movie?
- If you started a music group, what would your band name be?
- Did you ever have a wish come true blowing out birthday candles?
- What are some of the most comforting smells or scents to you?
- What is the best toy every kid should have?
- What was the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you?
- What consistent compliment do you hear most about you?
- What is the best life advice you have received and who said it?
- If you started your own restaurant, what food would you serve?
- What prop in a movie or television show would you pay money for?
- What other languages would you want to learn?
- What is the coolest thing you learned in a museum?
- What song could you karaoke to?
- What music album have you heard the most of?
- Have you ever done a dare for money?
By Amy at www.freshlymarried.com
I am a Family Life Educator teaching couples how to strengthen their marriage and keep it fresh through helpful advice, support, ideas, and inspiration!
Article has been posted before at this link