By: Shelby Hoffman
You're finally engaged and the time has come to find your wedding dress! Most girls have dreamed and envisioned what their future wedding dress will look like since a young age but translating that dream into a reality can make the search for your dress exhausting. Going into your search with an open mind as well as following a few tips is going to help you find the dress of your dreams!
When it comes to finding the perfect dress, there's a few very important factors that will help you narrow down exactly what you want.
- One of the first things you should do before going on the hunt for your gown is establishing a realistic budget. Trying on dresses outside of your budget can make your experience confusing and sometimes heartbreaking. Let your bridal consultant know before hand what your price point is. It is important to be on the same page so you can narrow down to dresses you can afford. Keep in mind, most brides will need alterations of some sort which does tack on to the dress budget.
2. While getting a good deal is always great, your wedding dress is not the area to sacrifice. Often times we hear our brides who dealt with devastation after ordering their dress online.
3. If the price of the dress is too good to be true, it usually is. Ordering knock off gowns is a risky move. Make sure where you buy your gown is reputable and has good reviews.
4. Once you've decided on a price point, you can shift your focus on deciding the style of the gown. Take cues from the theme of your wedding, the venue and the season to help you narrow down your dress style. Cross off silhouettes and material that won't work for your big day and start considering what fits will flatter your shape. Choose a silhouette that will best accentuate your most loved assets and conceal your less favorite areas.
5. When the day comes to try on dresses, be sure to bring a supportive group but don't go overboard. We suggest bringing no more than three people to your consultation. Your mother, future mother in law and maid of honor. This can vary, especially if there is a different party helping pay for the dress, but choose the people you feel knows you best and who's opinions matter most to you. Having too many opinions can easily sway you from a dress you love and make the process of finding your dress more difficult then it needs to be. Talk to them beforehand about what you envision your gown to look like so they can be supportive of your viewpoint choices.
6. One mantra that is repeated over and over by bridal consultants is "keep an open mind". Although you may have a vision for your perfect gown, it truly helps to let go of some preconceived notions and step out of your comfort zone. More often than not, my brides leave my shop with a dress completely opposite then what they initially thought they wanted. Don't eliminate anything at first glance. Dresses come to life once they are put on. Dresses on a hanger give them absolutely no justice! Listen to your consultant's advice and suggestions. They have likely worked with countless brides and know what they are talking about. Their job is to help you look your absolute best!
7. Once you've found your dress, stop looking! It is so easy to get overwhelmed after trying on so many gowns. You'll lose the ultimate vision and begin forgetting what you're looking for. We recommend 3-8 gowns.
While these are a few guidelines to follow to help you find your dress, ultimately once you have the dress of your dreams on, you'll just know. Have fun, enjoy the experience and have the tissues ready for the big "say yes to the dress" moment!